Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Coming to a Close

Today is the last day of school!  That meant that yesterday was busy busy busy with Awards Day and Jake's school talent show.

This year the kids' awards ceremonies slightly overlapped.  Maddie was up first...


She received awards for Academics and a Citizenship award.


She was a little disappointed.  There was one award that she was really hoping to get and didn't.  But...she'll try again next year.

My mom attended Maddie's ceremony with me and my dad had skipped it so that he could get to Jake's when it started and Jake would somehow be represented.  Luckily mom and I made it without missing anything for Jake.


Surprisingly, Jake won an award for Perfect Attendance.  I have to say - this was quite a surprise.  I really thought/assumed he'd missed at least some day this past year.  Mom and I had just been talking on the way over how we were impressed with kids that were able to attend an entire year without missing a single day.  Didn't know my kid was one of them.

Jake also received an award for academics.


My parents and I also attended Jake's talent show.  He would not tell us what he was doing.  In fact, he went so far as to say to my mom when she asked, "I can't tell you what I'm doing and we aren't talking about this anymore."  Turns out he was part of a flash mob of kids that stood up at the end and sang/danced to a song played over the loudspeakers.  He said he was pretty nervous because he doesn't like to dance in front of people.  It was kind of neat...a bunch of the teachers jumped up too and some of the kids, one by one, got into the groove and jumped up to start dancing.

Maddie was not happy with 7th grade this year in terms of ending school.  As she told Jake, "You should enjoy your last days of school.  When you get into my grade you don't get to have fun anymore at the end of the year.  I have to learn all the way up until the end and take tests."

At 2:50 today Maddie returns and Jake follows 40 minutes later.  Then we are off and running for the summer.  We plan to have lots of fun...and maybe (dare I say it)...sneak in some learning too!

No comments: