Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Break Through!

I sent Jake to school today with a brand-new water bottle. A really nice one, not super cheap. This was sent with explicit instructions to take care of it.

It came home cracked. He had it less than eight hours.

I took a deep breath and asked what happened. Jake was perplexed. He had no idea it was cracked. I proceeded to calmly tell him he needed to take care of things he was given. Yada yada yada.

Jake opened his mouth and said, "But it wasn't my fault..." which is usually followed by him beginning to wail in a toddler fashion and stomp his feet.

I held up my hands and said, "I'm not accusing you of doing it on purpose. But I didn't do it, your dad didn't do it nor did Maddie. You had ownership, you had it all day and somehow it happened under your watch."

Jake looked at me and said he probably did realize how it happened. He'd had it attached to his bag on the outside and was swinging his bag.

THEN...ready for this???

He looked at me and said, "I'm very sorry. Are you mad at me?"


I picked my jaw up off the floor and said I said I was disappointed and I expected him to be more careful. Then he came over and hugged me and I said, "Wasn't that nice to actually have a conversation LIKE A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD?"
He giggled, and walked away saying, "Oh mom, you make me laugh when you say things like that."
I hope he knows I was dead serious.

No comments: