Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to the Grind

We woke up to pounding on our bedroom door at 4:10am.

We were greeted by Jake who said, "My tooth is really loose." Sure enough, it was just hanging there. So he and Mike went in the bathroom and minutes later Jake pulled it out. I came in to see this smile coming back at me:


It may have been the hardest I've ever laughed at 4:10am.

Thus began the first day of school, 2009. Jake headed back to bed for a few more hours. Mike and I tried but I don't think either of us slept too well; we are both trying to shake off some nasty cold.

But I got up at 6:40 and headed to the Donut Connection for our "First Day of School" breakfast. Breakfast of champions. We did serve orange juice with it so they got something healthy.

And very soon all four of us headed to the bus stop. But not without taking some pictures first.

Maddie had a last minute change in shirts. This was not the original plan. But, the shirt she originally had on was sewn incorrectly in the back and would have resulted in a large hole by the end of the day. We are also at the stage of a girl's life where hairstyle starts to matter. She had preplanned her pigtails, but they could only be low ones. I offered to redo one because she had missed a little section in the back. I actually had to redo it twice in order to get it correct.


These were also her school shoes:


They are last year's shoes. We actually have new shoes ordered through Famous Footwear. We've had two separte deliveries; neither has resulted in us actually receiving the correct shoe yet. We are keeping our fingers crossed the right pair arrive soon.

But, despite her outfit completely deviating from head to toe on the original plan, she looked very cute and was only a little nervous to start up again.

Jake was IN LOVE with these shorts.


He also LOVES these shoes. Loves them. They have orange. Enough said.


He has wanted "Sketchers" for awhile, but we held off until this year. He swears the main reason he wanted them was because they had special holes in them so your feet won't stink. When he was putting them on this morning he said, "Mom, I'm totally going to smell my socks when I get home to make sure my feet don't stink. I bet they won't."

And everyone survived the first day. We had root beer floats to celebrate after dinner and toasted to a great year for everyone!

1 comment:

Aunt Missy said...

So very cute kids.