Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas Favorites

As I'm getting ready to put Christmas stuff away...I know...slacker...anyway, I stopped to take a picture of some new ornaments.

Each year since we've been married Mike has bought me a Christmas decoration. The first year, actually, was a decoration (two teddy bears on a bench wearing Santa hats) - after that it was an ornament that represented something "big" that had happened that year. No matter what he gets me for Christmas (and I've gotten some amazing things!) these are far and away my favorite presents. It's fun to guess what he'll think is our "big" thing for the year...and it's fun to find out some years that what he got us didn't even cross my mind for ideas.

The last couple years I've lamented that we had an ornament for every year except that very first year. So imagine my surprise when I opened this up on our belated Christmas morning:


I was ELATED. Seriously so excited. Then it dawned on me that now I wouldn't have an ornament for 2008 and we'd never catch up. Mike must have seen my face because he said, "This year's ornament will arrive tomorrow."

Sure enough, he came home in the morning with a box for me delivered special from Germany. He'd ordered it online from a store we'd visited while in Germany last March, and one I had bought an angel playing the piano at:


This year the ornament represented our trip to Germany AND the fact that we'd worked on our basement almost the whole year. It's hard to see, but it's a German Carpenter!!

I can't wait until I have enough ornaments to fill one whole tree!!! Think of all the stories!

1 comment:

Jess said...

OMG...we do the same thing! Only I have to buy them...but it is still sooo fun every year to take them out and walk back through our lives. Way to go, Mike!