Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Night on the Town

Tonight Maddie & Jake had a night out with my parents. They've all been planning this for awhile - it was to celebrate going into first grade and fourth grade. The evening started at 4:30 with dinner reservations at Wildfire. Why would my kids want to go there? Of course - they have the best macaroni & cheese anywhere. My kids have a rating scale for mac & cheese at any restaurant and this restaurant (from two previous engagements there...) rates a perfect 10. So, they were QUITE excited to get to eat there.

After that it was off to the Children's Theater for a performance of "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle". If you haven't heard of her, these are great children's books. I think they were originally published in the 40's or 50's. Madison has read all of them (four total) at least three times. For awhile (pre-Nancy Drew era) it was all she read. So, when they saw it was going to be at the theater my parents thought that the kids would get a kick out of seeing it performed.

So, at 3:30 everyone was ready to go - dressed to the nines! When I gave Jake the option of the white or orange shirt with his tie, I was shocked when he chose the white because it went with his vest. Madison opted for this dress, though she really wanted a sundress. However, I just felt like it was a special occasion and I assured her that grandma and grandpa would be dressed up too. So, she got into it getting her hair curled (to look like Nancy Drew) and a necklace - but no earrings. (She has so much to learn!!) Anyway - grandma and grandpa came but were dressed nice casual and my kids wanted to know where grandpa's tie was. My fault. I totally accept blame - and I was quite surprised when my parents dropped them off and my mom was in a different colored sweater and my dad was in a shirt and tie. They felt so bad they actually drove home to change clothes so they were as dressed up as the kids! Grandparents can be such suckers!

When they got back - I don't know who was more excited - my mom or Maddie and Jake! It was hard to keep up with all the stories! My mom said it was just the most wonderful night. They got candles on their dessert because the waitress thought it was so neat that they were going to be in 1st and 4th grade! Then the production - honestly, Maddie did not stop talking until we finally got them in bed. I mean - I think she reenacted this entire play! Mike looked at me at one point wide eyed with a look that said, "She's not going to stop talking!"
My favorite part was when she was talking about some girl in the performance and Maddie said (at a mile a minute), "then she got SO mad! Then she said...(whispered) she said the "s" word..." And I'm thinking, "What the heck kind of production is the Children's theater getting into???" and Maddie followed it up with, "She said....shesaidshutup....I know, we aren't supposed to say shut up...but..." The "s" word was "shut up". I love that! If only innocence could last forever!
Jake told us - when he could get a word in edge-wise - that he wished we could have seen it because we would have "LAUGHED. TO. DEATH." According to him, he laughed to death. Even my mom said it was more fun watching him at one point then watching the play.
And I must say, I'm so excited that they had such a great experience. I love musicals and going to shows - maybe that means that there will be some future shows that we can all partake in together! Mike better start saving his money!!!

No comments: